Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Oh that's right... we have a blog!

So we at SIDAR kind of forgot about this little blog. Oops. Sorry. But I promise we shall rectify this negligence, omission and general poor form in the coming weeks.

Taken by my lovely travel buddy J- Moraine Lake in Canada. Hard to believe this is real

IOU some stories about Canada, America and Mexico. They shall not be stories of retardation, as the group I travelled with were just fabulous, however I will endeavour to share some observations on the mating and dating cultures of the NAFTA signatories as well as general tales.

In the meantime, here is a little something something to get the ball rolling again.

1. Along with the amazing LG, I attended the launch of the Virgin Mobile Metro Theatre last night. Aside from another exercise in pointless corporate rebranding, the night had quite the odd feel to it. Just 24 hours prior to our attendance, the venerable old gal (and personal favourite) the Hopetoun Hotel had shut its doors, shrouded in a veil of mystery.

Disregarding concern for corporate mismanagement and the allocation of blame, it is a great shame to lose (even temporarily) such a giant player in the local music scene. Some of my favourite nights were spent mixing it up with the eclectic bunch that frequent the Hoey.


So, in some ways I am putting aside my natural mistrust of the commercial world becoming involved in independent music venues, and I hope that the Branson alliance will provide a much needed injection of liquidity and guarantee, thereby allowing the Metro greater sway in the music scene, and thereby avoid a similar fate to the Hoey.

2. Playing at the launch were none other than the delightful lads from Dappled Cities. Whilst I have previously alluded to LG's long time love of Dave Rennick, I was positively won over by Tim Derricourt and his endearing fusion of guitar skills and a personalised hot shoe shuffle.

These boys truly are the real deal. They mix lush and unique sounds, consummate skill and a total lack of arrogance or assumption which makes it absolutely impossible not to love them all. To see a band actually smile and enjoy themselves on stage was a refreshing experience. Dappled, Bluejuice and Yves Klein Blue all achieve this, and it is a delight to see.


3. I am obsessed with this track. Check out the whole clip, and focus on the keyboardists expression following the final build into the refrain. Oh it is special. I love Mumford and Sons.




***I promise we shall resume the regular updates sooooooon. I'll post some pretty pictures of mountains, lakes and oceans. Oh, and some tequila tasting too***

No comments:

Post a Comment