Wednesday, August 5, 2009

midweek mixtape

So I don't really have anything to say today. But apparently being a 'good' blogger means regular updates, and I just don't think my posting pictures of food cuts it as proper journalistic contributions. So I am adopting another form of no-brainer post pattern... a list of genius things that make me happy, and hopefully make you happy too...


1. Bands with awesome names.

These days, its not acceptable to have a boring band name. The indie world goes ga-ga (PUN!) for cutesy plastic fantastic names and I have to admit I share this love. I am far more inclined to do a sneaky elbo.ws download of a band with a sweet name I have never heard before than something dull. So here's a couple I am loving at the moment:

>>> The Phenomenal Handclap Band.
What a brilliant name. How can you not smile? What also makes me smile is the fact that in their myspace top friend list, they have not one, but two people sharing my name with correct spelling and all.

Aside from this self-indulgent appreciation, they are actually jolly sweet and have been getting a bit of play on Triple J as of late. They are currently supporting Friendly Fires in their US tour.... August 12th New York anyone? Meet you there.www.myspace.com/embassyproductions OR phenomenalhandclapband.blogspot.com

>>> We Were Promised Jetpacks.

A four piece from Glasgow (aaaah Scottish bands) popping out some cute little singles which have a happy-go lucky beat, strong guitar melodies and a lead singer who could easily fill in for Brandon Flowers should he ever vacate The Killers.

Check out 'Quiet Little Voices' and 'Roll Up Your Sleeves'



2. Tim Rogers

No, not the Tim Rogers we usually write about here (aka Jack Ladder), but his musical predecessor, and (for now) the more famous musical Tim- frontman of seminal Australian band You Am I.


I have had a long-time love affair with this man, despite him being perhaps twice my age. His face tells a thousand tales of rock and roll debauchery, and he seems to have adopted an affected eccentricity which is ever so endearing.


He was most recently spotted gracing the Splendour in the Grass stage, joined by the *other* Tim Rogers (Jack). Whilst Jack Ladder wore a beautifully fitted jacket and oh so tight black jeans, Rogers rejected the need for formal rock stage attire, instead making the poncho his own. What a stunning combination.

He was also a guest on the ABC's Tuesday Night Bookclub last night, and his faux American narrators' voice coupled with bow-tie made me weak at the knees.


Cheers to old man crushes

3. Meat Free Monday

I eat a vegetarian diet on average five days a week. This is not from any political/social/moral urge, but due to the realisation that my body just seems to work better without meat/gluten/dairy products.
Hence dhal, soups and lentil-based dishes have become my favoured meals. However the recent push for 'Meat Free Monday' as a means of combating climate change means I am a lean, mean green machine without doing anything. Sweet. Go social activism and all that.

4. Photos with messages.

They may be a touch twee at times, but over the years I have saved them on my hard-drive hoping to have an occasion to publish. I have deemed today to be the occasion.




5. This gin:
South Gin is made in New Zealand by the same people who make 42 Below Vodka. Featuring all kinds of deliciousness, it is pretty much the best drink invented. South gin is the way to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment